Eye is the most sensitive organ of the body and its care is as important as other parts of the body. In Ayurveda there are many ways to improve eyesight and normal vision. Nowadays we spend lots of time on gadgets like phones and computers that cause strain to the eyes and it may be overcome by ayurvedic home remedies and our proper daily nutrient diet. In this article we are going to discuss maintaining proper eye health.
Eye health is a major concern nowadays. Foods rich in omega-3, vitamins such as- vitamin A, E and C are more likely to be beneficial for eyes. People with increasing age are likely to be affected by poor blurred vision and sometimes blindness. Poor care of eyes and improper diet can cause several eye disorders such as- Glaucoma, Cataract, Dry eyes, Swollen eyelids.
SOME COMMON CONDITIONS RELATED TO EYE
Glaucoma is a group of eye disorders and it arises as abnormally high pressure in the eye. It damages the optic nerve and if left untreated may cause blindness. Specifically this condition occurs in the 60+ age group of people.
Cataract is a condition in which patients suffer from blurry vision because of clouding of the lens of an eye which is normally clear. It feels like watching outside through the blurred window. Affected lens can be replaced with a new artificial lens by surgery.
3. MACULAR DEGENERATION
Macular degeneration is also known as age-related macular degeneration. It is of two types - Dry macular degeneration and Wet macular degeneration. Basically this condition causes loss in the center of the field of vision. Early symptoms are blurred vision.
It is a rare genetic disorder that involves breakdown and loss of cells in the retina. it causes severe vision impairment.
It is caused by the damage of the blood vessels of light sensitive tissue at the back of the eye (retina). Early symptoms may include blurry vision, difficulty to differentiate color, floaters. Leads to blindness if untreated.
Dry eye is a common condition in which tears are not able to provide adequate moisture or lubricant to the eye. Symptoms include - dry eye, discomfort, itchy eye with redness.
5 BEST NUTRIENTS FOR YOUR EYE
There are some nutrients that help to maintain eye health.
- VITAMIN A - Vitamin A has a broad spectrum in maintaining health of the body. This vitamin is also called retinol. It is best for healthy vision. Vitamin A helps in production of pigments in the retina of the eye.
Sources - Dark leafy vegetables, spinach, oranges, cod liver oil, cereals.
- VITAMIN C - Vitamin c is the popular vitamin, found in various food and dietary supplements. It slows down the developing macular degeneration. Reduces the risk of glaucoma and cataract.
Sources - Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C such as - lemons, oranges, grapefruit. Other sources are- broccoli, papaya, strawberries, blackcurrant.
- OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS - Omega3 fatty acids is also known as DHA. It is popular because of its health benefits and eye health is one of them. It prevents age related vision loss in people. It slows down development of macular degeneration.
Sources - Chia seeds, flax seeds, walnuts, spinach, berries, hemp seeds.
- VITAMIN E - Vitamin E is an antioxidant, which helps to protect the eye from free radicals. Adequate amount of this vitamin in daily diet may reduce the risk of cataracts.
Sources - Olives, almonds, papaya, kale, mangoes, kiwi, avocado.
- ZINC - Zinc is a part of many essential enzymes which acts as an antioxidant. Also part of the formulation in visual pigmentation in the retina of the eye. Deficiency of zinc may lead to night blindness.
Sources - Apple, almond, yogurt, avocados, peanuts, sesame seeds, firm tofu.
AYURVEDA FOR EYE- HOME REMEDIES
1. ROSE WATER
2-3 drops of rose water to rinse your eyes. If you are having inflammation and pain, put 2-3 drops in your eye, close your eye for a good 3-4 minutes and then rinse it with simple water. Do this 3-4 times a day.
2. CASTOR OIL
Directly put 2-3drops of castor oil in your eye. It helps to improve the stability of tears and lipids present in the eye. Prevents any further infection. Make sure your castor oil does not contain any preservative.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help to reduce dark circles. Take 2 teaspoon fresh turmeric with 1 tablespoon of curd and some drops of lemon juice and rose water. Apply this paste on a dark circle, leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it with plain water.
4. ICE CUBE
Take a fresh ice cube wrapped in washed cotton cloth and rub it to your eyes with little pressure. If you feel uncomfortable with the compressed pressure then simply dip your clean cloth in cold water and apply it on your eye. This remedy reduces eye redness, inflammation and puffy eyes.
Warm milk with honey can be used as an eye drop. You can put this mixture in your eye with the help of an eye dropper. This drop helps you to reduce sore eyes.
Note - If you feel irritation and discomfort to your eyes while applying any of the above remedies, wash your eyes immediately with clean water and if you see any side effects then consult the doctor.
TIPS TO MAINTAIN YOUR EYE HEALTH
- MAINTAIN HEALTHY AND BALANCED DIET - You should take green left vegetables and fruits in your alternative diet. Foods rich in vitamins, omega 3 are essential to include in daily diet.
- MAINTAIN WEIGHT - Excessive weight may lead to many health problems such as blood pressure, acidity, diabetes. It may lead to glaucoma.
- AVOID SMOKING - Smoking increases the risk of age related diseases.
- REGULAR EXERCISE - Regular exercise makes you and your immune system strong. It prevents and controls diabetes, high blood pressure that may lead to eye related problems.
- SUNGLASSES - Sun exposure can cause eye damage, wear sunglasses outside. Direct sunlight may increase the risk of cataract and age related macular degeneration.
- EYE REST - Proper sleep of 8 hours will give your eye rest and strain free. If you spend too much time on the computer then wear recommended specs to protect your eye from computer harmful light.
Poor awareness of people related to eye health is a major concern. There is an urgent need to educate and promote eye health among youth and generation. Aware people about nutritional benefits in eye care.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an Expert Ayurveda Consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.